Rachael Smiley brings more than a decade of legal experience to FBFK, offering knowledge of all steps of the Chapter 11 reorganization process, including asset sales, plan confirmation and post-confirmation plan administration. She also has experience litigating a variety of disputes, including contested matters and adversary proceedings, plus valuation disputes, claim objections and avoidance actions. She currently serves as Chair of FBFK’s Litigation practice
Prior to joining FBFK, Rachael held positions in boutique and large law firms, as well as in the Office of Supply Chain Management at UT Southwestern Medical Center, where she negotiated and drafted business agreements on behalf of the university and its hospitals. While there, Rachael also gained valuable insight into the complex and highly-specialized financial and procurement systems that support the healthcare industry.
Rachael was listed as one of the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America (2021 and 2022) in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law.
Presentations and Published Writings
- “InfoWars and Sub V: Can Alex Jones’ Media Companies Use Small Business Reorganization to Curb Sandy Hook Liability?” Texas Law Book, April 28, 2022
- “What if We Held an Equity Auction and No One Came?,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, August 2018, Vol. 37, No. 8
- “Bankruptcy Litigation in the Wake of COVID 19” – Association of International Certified Professional Accountants, May 2021
- “Out of Court Restructuring Strategies: Advising Businesses of All Sizes” – Turnaround Management Association Town Hall, April 2020, Dallas Bar Association Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section, July 2020, and Tarrant County Bar Association Bankruptcy Law Section, September 2020
- “Fraudulent Conveyances and Fundamentals of Solvency Analysis”, Dallas Bar Association Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section, September 2019
- “The Healthcare Restructuring Epidemic – Containing the Spread and Capitalizing on the Remains”, Healthcare Financial Management Association, Lone Star Chapter, January 2018