Dan’s practice focuses on complex business litigation, including fiduciary duty litigation, securities violations, professional malpractice claims, intellectual property disputes, shareholder claims, property disputes, and oil, gas and energy litigation. He handles cases with millions of dollars at stake yet also represents businesses and individuals in smaller disputes. He has decades of trial and appellate experience in both state and federal courts, including serving as lead counsel in jury trials and appellate arguments. Dan understands that the best resolution of many disputes is a satisfactory settlement, but he believes that the best settlements come from being fully prepared and able to try the case if necessary.
Articles and Presentations
- Privilege Issues for In-House Counsel,” PowerSchool legal team, February 2022
- “Fiduciary Duty Claims Litigation: Demystifying Trends, Developments, and Legal Challenges,” The Knowledge Group, September 2021
- “Ethics in Contracting: Intentional Drafting & Unintentional Creation,” 17th Annual Course – Advanced In-House Counsel, Business Law and Corporate Counsel Sections of the State Bar of Texas, August 2018.
- “Recovery of Attorney’s Fees in Probate Litigation,” 32nd Annual Estate Planning & Probate Section CLE, Austin Bar Association, May 2018.
- “Navigating the World of Probate and Fiduciary Litigation,” Civil Litigation Section of the Austin Bar Association, May 2018.
- “The Texas Oil and Gas Industry: Its Present Shape and Future Outlook” – Panel Moderator, Texas Aggie Bar Association Annual Conference, March 2018.
- “Drafting Wills and Trusts for Efficient Administration” – Panel Moderator, Estate Planning, Guardianship and Elder Law Conference, August 2017.
- “Liability Risks in Trust and Estate Planning and Administration” – Annual Estate Planning and Probate Section CLE, Austin Bar Association, May 2017.
- “Litigation Strategies for In-House Counsel,” Corporate Counsel Review—volume XXXVI – May 2017, Number 1.
- “Litigation 101: You’ve Been Sued. Now What?” – In-House Counsel 101, August 10, 2016 San Antonio, TX
- “Ethical Issues That Can Get Lawyers Sued” – 2016 Hays County Bench Bar Conference
- “Common Ethical Problems That Can Get lawyers Sued” – 11th Annual Conference of the Texas Aggie Bar Association, March 2010
- “So You’ve Been Sued: What Now?” – 38th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute, Houston, April 7-8, 2016 and Dallas, May 5, 2016
- Ethical Issues for the Non-Litigator in Litigation, 16th Annual Conference of the Texas Aggie Bar Association, March 7, 2015.
- Guest Lecturer on Computer Evidence in Litigation, Elements of Computing in Society class at the University of Texas at Austin, 2014 – 2015.