Commercial Real Estate
Our attorneys can assist you with any and all aspects of the real estate industry, including:
Our Commercial Real Estate Team
Thomas BorchardOf Counsel
Commercial Litigation, Commercial Real Estate, Employment Law, Intellectual Property
Representative Commercial Real Estate Matters
Real Estate General & Other Contractor Representation
- Extensive experience representing high-end custom home builders and other general contractors
- Lead counsel for residential builder of high-end custom homes ($3M-$10M)
Real Estate Investment/Private Equity
- Significant experience working with private equity investment funds targeting real estate assets and more particularly working with sponsor groups with operating experience and partnering with investors to form funds for future investment.
- Lead counsel for sponsor group leading multiple manufactured housing properties raising capital from private equity fund. Lead counsel for sponsor group placing investment in multifamily properties.
Real Estate Related Controversy Management and Litigation
- Substantial experience serving as primary counsel for developers, property owners, and contractors in various types of disputes related to their business operation
- Extensive involvement in construction dispute involving alleged foundation defects in multiple houses along a single street and participated in successful settlement of claims on behalf of builder
Real Estate Transactional
- Extensive experience working on the negotiation of sale, acquisition, lease, construction and development of undeveloped land, commercial, industrial and residential projects, including office buildings, multi-family projects, mini/industrial warehouses and single family residential developments. Scope of experience also encompasses interim and permanent loan transactions, workouts involving non-performing loans and assets, foreclosures, mechanics’ lien claims, commercial leasing, construction agreements, management contracts, land use agreements, long term ground leases and condominium development.
- Led borrower teams on multi-family portfolio refinance projects with multiple properties in multiple states.
- Representation of banks and other lenders in connection with acquisition and development loans to borrowers, secured by both real estate and other assets
- Primary counsel for community bank lender in the refinance of an office building in Dallas, TX, primary counsel for commercial bank lender on acquisition of a retail building in Dallas, TX
Real Estate Brokers
- Represented client, as provider, in $1Billion+ services contract
- Orchestrated the $55 million financing of the Magnolia Hotel
- Represented seller in stock sale of entity owning $33 Million Hotel
- Represented a $600 million work-out portfolio for First City, Texas
Capital Formation (Private Equity/Joint Ventures)
- Significant experience dealing with capital raises and joint venture relationships in a variety of industries, including real estate
- Work on joint venture agreement between landowner and residential home developer in joint venture with governmental entity for development of automated security software system
Capital Formation (Asset Syndications)
- Some experience with syndication of bank loans between originating lender and other participating banks
- Represented small regional bank in syndication of sizable loan to larger, national bank
Capital Formation (Real Estate Investment Funds)
- Experience with sponsor groups and investors in management of real estate investment fund for multifamily and manufactured housing markets.
- Lead counsel for sponsor group partnering with private real estate investment fund in acquiring, improving, and exiting manufactured housing projects
Capital Formation (Asset Manager and Property Manager Services)
- Significant experience working with asset manager in agreement to manage multifamily, mixed use, and office projects
- Lead counsel for management company expanding operations into asset management services including negotiation of management agreements and other aspects of offering lunch
Construction and Mortgage Borrowing
- Represented developer on construction loans for development of single-family development; represented owners for construction of owner-occupied and investment properties
- Represented an architecture firm focused on designs for schools and offices, negotiating construction contracts and other general business matters
- Represented single family and multifamily developers in acquisition of land for eventual development or redevelopment, including property acquisition, subdivision and lot sales, and construction of developer-owned improvements.
- Assisted in the financing and development of a 275-acre single-family development in Prosper, TX, worked with the developer in all aspects of an office condominium project in Frisco, TX from declaration, association formation, and sale of individual units.
Land Use & Entitlements
- Experience working on zoning, permitting, and code compliance issues, particularly in the context of due diligence review and project planning.
- Have worked with developers and owners to ensure appropriate zoning existed for planned development
Asset Class & Specialized Real Estate Experience
- Significant experience in leasing and sale of industrial properties
- Extensive experience with all aspects of retail property, including purchase, sale, and finance transactions with a particular emphasis on tenant representation.
News & Events
For the second consecutive year, Dallas-based FBFK has been named to Chambers USA’s Regional Spotlight Guide, indicating the firm is a leading medium-sized law firm in Texas.
Todd Friedland and John Stephens have been selected to the distinguished 2024 Edition of the Southern California Super Lawyers list. This is Friedland’s 13th consecutive year and Stephens’s 8th consecutive year on the list.
Todd Shadle and Steve Toland take on the civil and criminal statutes now available to pursue enforcement and offer 5 ways employers can protect themselves amidst growing threats.