Bankruptcy and Restructuring
Our Areas of Focus
- Representation of creditors, debtors, committees and other parties-in-interest in chapter 7 (liquidation) and chapter 11 (reorganization) cases
- Out-of-court restructuring and workouts
- Distressed asset purchases
- Transactional advice related to bankruptcy, out-of-court restructurings, and other creditors’ rights issues
- Bankruptcy litigation, including prosecuting and defending preference and fraudulent transfer claims and objections to claims
Our attorneys provide experienced guidance in assessing all stakeholder interests in distressed situations to maximize value and recoveries. While a consensual resolution is always the desired outcome, we realize it is not possible that in every case. In such instances, our attorneys are well-prepared to litigate and have substantial litigation experience in contested matters and adversary proceedings in bankruptcy courts, federal district courts, and federal appellate courts.
Our Bankruptcy and Restructuring Team
Representative Bankruptcy and Restructuring Matters
- Represented the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball in Texas Rangers Baseball Partners’ bankruptcy
- Represented the Future Claimants Representative in General Motors’ bankruptcy
- Represented the Asbestos Claimants’ Committee in ASARCO, LLC’s bankruptcy
- Represented the senior secured lender in a Chapter 15 matter regarding the enforceability of Mexican corporation’s plan of reorganization against U.S. creditors
- Represented a national real estate lender in strategies to address non-performing commercial and residential loans, both in and outside of bankruptcy
- Represented the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the chapter 11 reorganization of Think Finance, an online consumer lender alleged to have violated consumer lending laws
- Represented the chapter 11 trustee litigation related to the liquidation of assets of a real estate holding company that was determined to be a Ponzi-like scheme in order to return value to defrauded investors
- Representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the reorganization of an international manufacturer of toy and hobby-grade drones and related devices where the Committee was the successful plan proponent
- Represented a manufacturer of medical automated ventilators in a successful chapter 11 reorganization
- Represented numerous small- and midsized businesses and landlords in successful out-of-court restructurings and workouts
- Represented the creditors committee in a successful chapter 11 reorganization of a major hospital association in New Mexico
- Represented the Debtors in a complex hotel and restaurant chapter 11 reorganization in East Texas
- Represented a former equity holder in obtaining a “take nothing” judgement against a bank that alleged he had received a fraudulent conveyance of $550,000 for the redemption of his equity, as well as obtaining a full awarded of attorneys fees as a prevailing defendant under the Texas Uniform Fraudulent Transfers Act following a two-month trial in a multiyear complex commercial dispute
- Represented creditors, including financial institutions and commercial landlords, in bankruptcy cases
News & Events
For the second consecutive year, Dallas-based FBFK has been named to Chambers USA’s Regional Spotlight Guide, indicating the firm is a leading medium-sized law firm in Texas.
Todd Friedland and John Stephens have been selected to the distinguished 2024 Edition of the Southern California Super Lawyers list. This is Friedland’s 13th consecutive year and Stephens’s 8th consecutive year on the list.
Todd Shadle and Steve Toland take on the civil and criminal statutes now available to pursue enforcement and offer 5 ways employers can protect themselves amidst growing threats.