Employers: New EEOC “Breakroom” EEOC Posters Unveiled, Warrant Posting
“Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” poster went live on Oct. 20
By Mark Zeidman
The “EEOC is the Law” poster, which has been in breakrooms everywhere for a long time, just got a makeover by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The new poster, entitled “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal,” includes these changes:
- Uses straightforward language and formatting;
- Notes that harassment is a prohibited form of discrimination;
- Clarifies that sex discrimination includes discrimination based on pregnancy and related conditions, sexual orientation, or gender identity;
- Adds a QR code for fast digital access to the how to file a charge webpage; and
- Provides information about equal pay discrimination for federal contractors.
There is no set deadline to post the new version, but the EEOC says employers should supplement physical posting at the workplace with digital posting at an easily accessible location, such as the employer’s website. It would also be a good idea to send out a notice to employees, especially remote employees, that the new notice has been posted and where. Visit https://www.eeoc.gov/poster for the links to printable and optimized for screen posters, and the guidance for posting. Employers can print this out (preferably in color) or order from their usual suppliers. Free copies are also available from the DOL as noted on the linked page.There is no reason to delay.